Please sign and share with your networks
We really need to ramp up the pressure on this horrible visiting restriction Cuomo is about to jam in there. This is an issue that affects all of our fellow Certain Days editors, David Gilbert, Seth Hayes and Herman Bell, and thousands of other people in NY state prisons.
Governor Cuomo has just proposed to limit visiting at New York State maximum security prisons to 3 days a week instead of the current 7. If passed, this measure will be awful for thousands of people and their families.
The Governor talks a bunch of crap about compassion and reducing mass incarceration, but this proposal will seriously escalate suffering and family disruption. Under the current 7-day system, weekend visitors (many are women with young children) often wait 2-3 hours to see their loved ones. With reduced days, the wait will be longer, the visitor rooms more crowded, the visiting days and hours even more limited. This will be terrible for everyone and impossible for many.
Please email and write these people below and remind them how important visiting is and how this proposal is wrong on all levels.
Call (weekdays) –> (518) 474-8390
The Honorable Andrew M. Cuomo
Governor of New York State
NYS State Capitol Building
Albany, NY 12224
Email these people:
- Marta Nelson, email@example.com – Executive Director of the Governor’s Council on Community Re-Entry and Reintegration
- Acting DOCCS Commissioner Annucci, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator Gallivan, email@example.com – Senate Chair of CorrectionsCommittee
- Assembly member Weprin, WeprinD@nyassembly.gov – Assembly Chair of Corrections Committee
- Senator Avella, Avella@nysenate.gov – Senate Chair of Children & Families Committee
- Assemblymember Jaffee, JaffeeE@nyassembly.gov – Chair Assembly Committee on Children & Families
Filed under: Uncategorized |